Do you know how to charge a Canon camera? There are many ways to charge a Canon camera and we are going to explain all of them in our article.
Whether it is a family trip to a heavenly destination or an office camping tour, you have to use your Canon camera to take high-quality pictures. It is one of the best ways to treasure those happy moments forever. However, what if you have forgotten to charge your camera? This could be the most frustrating thing that ever happened to you. It simply means you are unable to take those photos you have planned so hard for.
Best Method for Charging Canon Battery
The following is the best method to charge your camera’s battery.
Using the Camera’s Charger
Most Canon cameras come with dedicated chargers. Your seller should provide you with a charger even if you buy a used camera. You have to remove the battery of some models, especially DSLRs, and put it in the charger to charge it. However, the latest Canon batteries can be charged right inside the camera courtesy of a cable that connects the camera to the charger.
Here is how you can charge the battery with the included charger.
- Remove the battery from the camera
- Insert the battery inside the provided charger. Most Canon DSLRs and mirrorless cameras have a standard LP-E6N or LC-E6 charger
- You can connect the charger to any standard power outlet using the power cable.
- It will take around 2 hours to completely charge a canon camera with a charger.
How to Charge a Canon Camera Battery without a Charger?
Sometimes, you are not in a possession of your charger or it has given way all of a sudden. What to do in such situations? Well, you can also charge your Canon camera without a charger.
Charging a Canon Camera using a USB Cable
The easiest method to charge any camera is using a USB cable. However, you cannot charge all Canon cameras with a USB. The most modern cameras offer this facility but it is better to check your model before using this method.
Some Canon cameras also include a standard USB cable and Canon’s USB power adapter, the Canon PD-E1. If your camera does not have one, it is strongly recommended to buy the same adapter from the market.
Here is how you charge a camera using a USB cable.
- Turn off the camera
- Locate the USB port of the camera
- Plug in the USB power cable in the corresponding ports of the USB adapter and the camera
- Insert the USB adapter into the power outlet
- The camera is charging if the battery light turns green
- Weight the LED to turn it off. It means the battery has fully charged
- Remove the USB cable
- Charging a camera with a USB cable takes 3-4 hours.
Charging a Canon Camera Using a Power Bank
Another great method to charge a Canon camera without a charger is to use a power bank. All you need to have is a fully charged power bank and a USB cable. The power bank will fail to charge the camera if it does not have sufficient power itself.
Here is how to do it.
- Turn off the camera
- Connect the power bank and the camera using a USB cable
- Now, turn on the power bank
- Keep an eye on your camera’s LED. The green light indicates the camera is properly charging
- Once the camera is fully charged, the green light will turn off
- The camera also has a battery indicator at the top. It should also signify that it has charged
- Disconnect the power bank once your camera has been charged
- Your Canon camera will take almost 4 hours to charge using this method.
Replace the Battery
It is better to have replacement batteries in case you have to take a lot of pictures during a party or a tour. Having more than one battery saves you from the hassle of finding power outlets and connecting cables. Just replace the battery and you are good to go. You can charge all the batteries when you get back home.
Here is how you replace a battery in a Canon camera.
- Turn off your camera
- The battery compartment for your camera will be at the back mostly
- Carefully open the compartment. Sometimes, you may have to use a screwdriver as well
- Remove the old or flat battery
- Place the new battery. Some cameras have multiple batteries. You have to insert them one by one
- Ensure that you have correctly established the connections
- Shut the hatch
- Switch on the camera
Finally, you can also charge your camera with your computer. However, Canon does not recommend this method and that is why we are not going to discuss it in our article.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I charge Canon camera through USB?
Yes, you can charge a Canon camera through USB. You just need to buy the genuine Canon PD-E1 USB power adapter. You can use other adapters but they are not as effective as the PE-E1.
Can you charge EOS R with USB C?
Canon’s EOS R is the first series of Canon cameras with a USB-C port. Therefore, you can charge them through a USB-C cable. On top of that, you don’t need to remove the battery from the camera as well.
How do I know if my camera is charging?
The power bulb instantly turns green when you connect your camera to a charging device. It is the best indication that your camera is charging. The green light turns off once the charging is complete.
Can you use a Canon camera without a battery?
No, you cannot use your Canon camera without a battery. You can charge the battery without a charger but it must always be installed in the camera for you to use it.
Can you charge M50 with USB?
The Canon EOS M50 mirrorless camera does not come with a battery charger. However, you can connect it to a power source through a USB power adapter. Now, the camera will charge just like a battery.
So, you now know how to charge a Canon camera. We have discussed four ways you can charge your camera in our article. You can use the one that suits you the best. However, ensure that you use recommended batteries, chargers, and USB power adapters otherwise they can cause serious damage to your camera.